From the moment he was handed to me in the delivery room, Alex seemed not happy to be here. His eyes were bottomless, his expression grave. A dear friend of mine took one look at him and said he must be “an old soul.” He spent his first three months writhing and screaming inconsolably, the word colic wholly insufficient to describe our collective suffering. It wasn’t until six years later, after his brother Sammy arrived, that I realized just how different Alex was compared to other babies. Sammy cried only when he was hungry or wet. He made easy eye contact and loved to be stroked, hugged, and kissed – all the things Alex recoiled from as an infant.
I’m a Mom Who Blogs About Neuroscience
In addition to being the mother of two sons, I'm a science writer, focusing on the mental health concerns that can rob a parent's much needed sleep. A little over 10 years ago, when my then 17 year-old son Alex was diagnosed with schizophrenia, I desperately needed a blog like this. In my posts, I put the latest research about child and adolescent mental health into plain talk that parents can use. You'll hear about treatment that includes therapy and medication. I have no agenda, other than mental wellness. There's plenty here also on emotional resilience, and prevention. Please ask your own questions, and I promise to do my best to find answers.
Lastly, in this blog I am speaking only for myself as an individual. The views expressed in any post or article do not represent those of my current employer, PLOS, The Public Library of Science.
- 57,040 hits
- Mental Health Advocacy: Empowering Lived Experience with Evidence — My presentation is yours to use!
- Which Websites Can Reduce Anxiety and Depression? Evidence and Recommendations from PubMed Editor Hilda Bastian
- “If you talk to God you pray, but if God is talking to you it’s schizophrenia.”
- Pot may be legal for adults but it’s still dangerous for adolescents
- Report: Proper SSRI Antidepressant Starting Dose Minimizes Suicide Risk In Young Adults
- More Americans Understand Mental Illness; Climate Change, Vaccines or the Big Bang…Not So Much
- A Psychiatrist Diagnoses “House of Cards” — Is Claire Underwood a Narcissist?
- Becoming a Digital Media Sensation, While Struggling with Depression — a wise and touching post by Jennifer Pastiloff
- New analysis of international suicide data repeats 10 year old finding; 85% suffer from a mental illness
- ADHD: a real disorder, denying it hurts children
- Let Us Not Forget…Suicide, Even By Celebrities, is Most Often Preceded by Deep, Unrelenting Depression
- Book Review: By All Means…Where Mindfulness Meets Mental Health
- “3 Lessons from the Gus Deeds’ Story” – A Psychiatrist Takes on America’s Failed Mental Healthcare Delivery System
- Why Mental Illness-Focused Gun Control May Be More Harmful Than Helpful
- (no title)
Find a topic
- New Blog Post Mental Health Advocacy: Empowering Lived Experience with Evidence — My presentation is yours to use! ow.ly/2Zy6Zp 2 years ago
- New Blog Post Which Websites Can Reduce Anxiety and Depression? Evidence and Recommendations from PubMed Editor Hi... ow.ly/2VnsAe 3 years ago