A 10% bigger brain from hugs? Read this report to smile. “For years studies have underscored the importance of an early, nurturing environment for good, healthy outcomes for children,” said lead author Joan Luby. “But most of those studies have … Continue reading
I’m a Mom Who Blogs About Neuroscience
In addition to being the mother of two sons, I'm a science writer, focusing on the mental health concerns that can rob a parent's much needed sleep. A little over 10 years ago, when my then 17 year-old son Alex was diagnosed with schizophrenia, I desperately needed a blog like this. In my posts, I put the latest research about child and adolescent mental health into plain talk that parents can use. You'll hear about treatment that includes therapy and medication. I have no agenda, other than mental wellness. There's plenty here also on emotional resilience, and prevention. Please ask your own questions, and I promise to do my best to find answers.
Lastly, in this blog I am speaking only for myself as an individual. The views expressed in any post or article do not represent those of my current employer, PLOS, The Public Library of Science.
- 19,025 hits
- New Peer Reviewed Meta-Study Says Psychotherapy Works for Depression!
- A Review of “A Lethal Inheritance” ….Read it, read it as a piece of fiction, as an autobiographical account; as an educative opportunity to know more about mental illness and risk factors or just to get a first hand experiential account of what it means to live under the weight of a lethal inheritance-
- Enough Evidence for SSRI-autism Risk in Pregnancy to Warrant Stopping their Use…so says a new study with a large sample size
- The Diagnosis (Unfortunately) Left Out of DSM5: Attenuated Psychosis Disorder
- PTSD in Children: How to Recognize the Symptoms, Understand the Neuroscience and Get the Right Treatment
- Praising the child’s effort… “you tried hard!”, not the person…”you’re a good boy!” far more effective, says new study
- How Much Do You Know About Depression?
- “A Mind in Danger” Wins 2013 ASJA June Roth Best Medical Journalism Award
- New Study: Significant genetic overlap found for 5 different mental disorders: SZ, depression, autism, BP, ADHD
- Is PTSD Contagious? from Mother Jones
- A List Far Too Long, from Boston Globe
- More Active Duty Military Suicides (177) than Combat Deaths (176) in 2012:
- Ten Essential Qualities of Science Bloggers, from PLOSBLOGS
- In Light of Newtown “Families As First Responders”
- 2012 in review
Find a topic
- New Blog Post New Peer Reviewed Meta-Study Says Psychotherapy Works for Depression! ow.ly/2xgdMg 2 weeks ago
- Toms River: A New Classic in Epidemiology Book Review blogs.plos.org/dnascience/201… 3 weeks ago
- Univ Geneva hosts Citizen Cyberscience: guest post Rayna Stamboliyska blogs.plos.org/citizensci/201… 3 weeks ago
- Review - A Lethal Inheritance - Memoirs and Biographies: metapsychology.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.p… 3 weeks ago
June 2013 M T W T F S S « May 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30