I’m a Mom Who Blogs About Neuroscience
In addition to being the mother of two sons, I'm a science writer, focusing on the mental health concerns that can rob a parent's much needed sleep. A little over 10 years ago, when my then 17 year-old son Alex was diagnosed with schizophrenia, I desperately needed a blog like this. In my posts, I put the latest research about child and adolescent mental health into plain talk that parents can use. You'll hear about treatment that includes therapy and medication. I have no agenda, other than mental wellness. There's plenty here also on emotional resilience, and prevention. Please ask your own questions, and I promise to do my best to find answers.
Lastly, in this blog I am speaking only for myself as an individual. The views expressed in any post or article do not represent those of my current employer, PLOS, The Public Library of Science.
- 18,211 hits
- A Review of “A Lethal Inheritance” ….Read it, read it as a piece of fiction, as an autobiographical account; as an educative opportunity to know more about mental illness and risk factors or just to get a first hand experiential account of what it means to live under the weight of a lethal inheritance-
- Enough Evidence for SSRI-autism Risk in Pregnancy to Warrant Stopping their Use…so says a new study with a large sample size
- The Diagnosis (Unfortunately) Left Out of DSM5: Attenuated Psychosis Disorder
- PTSD in Children: How to Recognize the Symptoms, Understand the Neuroscience and Get the Right Treatment
- Praising the child’s effort… “you tried hard!”, not the person…”you’re a good boy!” far more effective, says new study
- How Much Do You Know About Depression?
- “A Mind in Danger” Wins 2013 ASJA June Roth Best Medical Journalism Award
- New Study: Significant genetic overlap found for 5 different mental disorders: SZ, depression, autism, BP, ADHD
- Is PTSD Contagious? from Mother Jones
- A List Far Too Long, from Boston Globe
- More Active Duty Military Suicides (177) than Combat Deaths (176) in 2012:
- Ten Essential Qualities of Science Bloggers, from PLOSBLOGS
- In Light of Newtown “Families As First Responders”
- 2012 in review
- Do antidepressants work? The answer is yes. Find out how the media got the science wrong.
Find a topic
- New Blog Post read it, read it as a piece of fiction , as an autobiographical account; as an educative opportunity... ow.ly/2wVYNz 5 days ago
- The Mouse Trap reviews A Lethal Inheritance for APA Mental Health blog day: bit.ly/19vXfZh 5 days ago
- New Blog Post Enough Evidence for SSRI-autism Risk in Pregnancy to Warrant Stopping their Useso says a new study w... ow.ly/2wnxcW 4 weeks ago
- The Diagnosis (Unfortunately) Left Out of #DSM5 ow.ly/klzLr 4 weeks ago
“It’s About Time”…
A Lethal Inheritance: A Mother Uncovers the Science Behind Three Generations of Mental Illness by Victoria Costello
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
It’s About Time, September 7, 2012
Argh! Where was this book thirty years ago when I started my quest for some answers to these unfathomable questions? Trust me, there are more answers to some of life’s most perplexing imponderables in this single book than I found in many years of research, reading, counseling sessions, church attendance, and personal conversations. While it’s true that real breakthroughs in our scientific understanding of major mental illnesses have only been made fairly recently, one wonders why there aren’t more books like this one dealing with seemingly impossible problems. Kudos to the author for her achievement! Can’t wait to see what she tackles next!
I am humbled…