PLoS, the Public Library of Science, is where I now work as Blogs Community Manager. The good people who edit PLoS Medicine are building a new collection about mental health strategies that are effective especially in what are called “low resource” places. My view is that this description probably covers a lot more places than one would think. The article has links to some interesting ongoing programs and projects in places like Africa and Afghanistan.
I’m a Mom Who Blogs About Neuroscience
In addition to being the mother of two sons, I'm a science writer, focusing on the mental health concerns that can rob a parent's much needed sleep. A little over 10 years ago, when my then 17 year-old son Alex was diagnosed with schizophrenia, I desperately needed a blog like this. In my posts, I put the latest research about child and adolescent mental health into plain talk that parents can use. You'll hear about treatment that includes therapy and medication. I have no agenda, other than mental wellness. There's plenty here also on emotional resilience, and prevention. Please ask your own questions, and I promise to do my best to find answers.
Lastly, in this blog I am speaking only for myself as an individual. The views expressed in any post or article do not represent those of my current employer, PLOS, The Public Library of Science.
- 29,220 hits
- Report: Proper SSRI Antidepressant Starting Dose Minimizes Suicide Risk In Young Adults
- More Americans Understand Mental Illness; Climate Change, Vaccines or the Big Bang…Not So Much
- A Psychiatrist Diagnoses “House of Cards” — Is Claire Underwood a Narcissist?
- Becoming a Digital Media Sensation, While Struggling with Depression — a wise and touching post by Jennifer Pastiloff
- New analysis of international suicide data repeats 10 year old finding; 85% suffer from a mental illness
- ADHD: a real disorder, denying it hurts children
- Let Us Not Forget…Suicide, Even By Celebrities, is Most Often Preceded by Deep, Unrelenting Depression
- Book Review: By All Means…Where Mindfulness Meets Mental Health
- “3 Lessons from the Gus Deeds’ Story” – A Psychiatrist Takes on America’s Failed Mental Healthcare Delivery System
- Why Mental Illness-Focused Gun Control May Be More Harmful Than Helpful
- A new 3 min. online self-test for depression, anxiety, PTSD, bipolar disorder
- A Footnote to the Jenny McCarthy Public Health Threat: MMR Vaccines NEVER Contained Thimersol
- New Peer Reviewed Meta-Study Says Psychotherapy Works for Depression!
- A Review of “A Lethal Inheritance” ….Read it, read it as a piece of fiction, as an autobiographical account; as an educative opportunity to know more about mental illness and risk factors or just to get a first hand experiential account of what it means to live under the weight of a lethal inheritance-
Find a topic
- New Blog Post Report: Proper SSRI Antidepressant Starting Dose Minimizes Suicide Risk In Young Adults ow.ly/2Gchp7 2 months ago
- New Blog Post More Americans Understand Mental Illness; Climate Change, Vaccines or the Big BangNot So Much ow.ly/2FYm1N 3 months ago