A Lethal Inheritance is “book of the month” on All About Psychology. Here’s Kaitlin Bell Barnett’s review… Costello makes an impassioned argument for knowing one’s family history of mental illness, much as one might gather information about cancer, high blood … Continue reading
I’m a Mom Who Blogs About Neuroscience
In addition to being the mother of two sons, I'm a science writer, focusing on the mental health concerns that can rob a parent's much needed sleep. A little over 10 years ago, when my then 17 year-old son Alex was diagnosed with schizophrenia, I desperately needed a blog like this. In my posts, I put the latest research about child and adolescent mental health into plain talk that parents can use. You'll hear about treatment that includes therapy and medication. I have no agenda, other than mental wellness. There's plenty here also on emotional resilience, and prevention. Please ask your own questions, and I promise to do my best to find answers.
Lastly, in this blog I am speaking only for myself as an individual. The views expressed in any post or article do not represent those of my current employer, PLOS, The Public Library of Science.
- 26,749 hits
- Becoming a Digital Media Sensation, While Struggling with Depression — a wise and touching post by Jennifer Pastiloff
- New analysis of international suicide data repeats 10 year old finding; 85% suffer from a mental illness
- ADHD: a real disorder, denying it hurts children
- Let Us Not Forget…Suicide, Even By Celebrities, is Most Often Preceded by Deep, Unrelenting Depression
- Book Review: By All Means…Where Mindfulness Meets Mental Health
- “3 Lessons from the Gus Deeds’ Story” – A Psychiatrist Takes on America’s Failed Mental Healthcare Delivery System
- Why Mental Illness-Focused Gun Control May Be More Harmful Than Helpful
- A new 3 min. online self-test for depression, anxiety, PTSD, bipolar disorder
- A Footnote to the Jenny McCarthy Public Health Threat: MMR Vaccines NEVER Contained Thimersol
- New Peer Reviewed Meta-Study Says Psychotherapy Works for Depression!
- A Review of “A Lethal Inheritance” ….Read it, read it as a piece of fiction, as an autobiographical account; as an educative opportunity to know more about mental illness and risk factors or just to get a first hand experiential account of what it means to live under the weight of a lethal inheritance-
- Enough Evidence for SSRI-autism Risk in Pregnancy to Warrant Stopping their Use…so says a new study with a large sample size
- The Diagnosis (Unfortunately) Left Out of DSM5: Attenuated Psychosis Disorder
- PTSD in Children: How to Recognize the Symptoms, Understand the Neuroscience and Get the Right Treatment
Find a topic
- New Blog Post Becoming a Digital Media Sensation, While Struggling with Depression a wise and touching post by Je... ow.ly/2FAUdP 5 days ago
- Numbers matter! New analysis of suicide data repeats 10 year old finding; 85% have a mental illness: wp.me/p1G2G0-zG via @VCpsych 1 week ago
- New Blog Post New analysis of international suicide data repeats 10 year old finding; 85% suffer from a mental ill... ow.ly/2Fs22z 1 week ago