This article in the Wall Street Journal gives an in depth description of a very effective parent training approach to handling kids’ tantrums or clinging behaviors.
I’m a Mom Who Blogs About Neuroscience
In addition to being the mother of two sons, I'm a science writer, focusing on the mental health concerns that can rob a parent's much needed sleep. A little over 10 years ago, when my then 17 year-old son Alex was diagnosed with schizophrenia, I desperately needed a blog like this. In my posts, I put the latest research about child and adolescent mental health into plain talk that parents can use. You'll hear about treatment that includes therapy and medication. I have no agenda, other than mental wellness. There's plenty here also on emotional resilience, and prevention. Please ask your own questions, and I promise to do my best to find answers.
Lastly, in this blog I am speaking only for myself as an individual. The views expressed in any post or article do not represent those of my current employer, PLOS, The Public Library of Science.
- 25,264 hits
- Book Review: By All Means…Where Mindfulness Meets Mental Health
- “3 Lessons from the Gus Deeds’ Story” – A Psychiatrist Takes on America’s Failed Mental Healthcare Delivery System
- Why Mental Illness-Focused Gun Control May Be More Harmful Than Helpful
- A new 3 min. online self-test for depression, anxiety, PTSD, bipolar disorder
- A Footnote to the Jenny McCarthy Public Health Threat: MMR Vaccines NEVER Contained Thimersol
- New Peer Reviewed Meta-Study Says Psychotherapy Works for Depression!
- A Review of “A Lethal Inheritance” ….Read it, read it as a piece of fiction, as an autobiographical account; as an educative opportunity to know more about mental illness and risk factors or just to get a first hand experiential account of what it means to live under the weight of a lethal inheritance-
- Enough Evidence for SSRI-autism Risk in Pregnancy to Warrant Stopping their Use…so says a new study with a large sample size
- The Diagnosis (Unfortunately) Left Out of DSM5: Attenuated Psychosis Disorder
- PTSD in Children: How to Recognize the Symptoms, Understand the Neuroscience and Get the Right Treatment
- Praising the child’s effort… “you tried hard!”, not the person…”you’re a good boy!” far more effective, says new study
- How Much Do You Know About Depression?
- “A Mind in Danger” Wins 2013 ASJA June Roth Best Medical Journalism Award
- New Study: Significant genetic overlap found for 5 different mental disorders: SZ, depression, autism, BP, ADHD
Find a topic
- New Blog Post Book Review: By All MeansWhere Mindfulness Meets Mental Health ow.ly/2EvVpy 22 hours ago
- Book Review: By All Means, "A #Zen Cautionary Tale"...Where #Mindfulness Meets #MentalHealth: wp.me/p1G2G0-z2 via @VCostelloblogs 1 day ago
- New Blog Post "3 Lessons from the Gus Deeds' Story" A Psychiatrist Takes on America's Failed Mental Healthcare De... ow.ly/2DCQ50 4 weeks ago