Lawrence Diller, M.D.: The United States of Adderall. This S.F. pediatrician explains why drugs for ADHD rule when psychotherapy isn’t reimbursed by insurance companies. He’s not opposed to prescribing child psychiatric meds, but he’s wary of the huge increase in their use and explains why other effective treatment is not employed for child attention and hyperactivity problems. I know Larry Diller and he’s an unusually knowledgeable pediatrician who’s written two good books on this subject. I recommend his work.
I’m a Mom Who Blogs About Neuroscience
In addition to being the mother of two sons, I'm a science writer, focusing on the mental health concerns that can rob a parent's much needed sleep. A little over 10 years ago, when my then 17 year-old son Alex was diagnosed with schizophrenia, I desperately needed a blog like this. In my posts, I put the latest research about child and adolescent mental health into plain talk that parents can use. You'll hear about treatment that includes therapy and medication. I have no agenda, other than mental wellness. There's plenty here also on emotional resilience, and prevention. Please ask your own questions, and I promise to do my best to find answers.
Lastly, in this blog I am speaking only for myself as an individual. The views expressed in any post or article do not represent those of my current employer, PLOS, The Public Library of Science.
- 33,369 hits
- “If you talk to God you pray, but if God is talking to you it’s schizophrenia.”
- Pot may be legal for adults but it’s still dangerous for adolescents
- Report: Proper SSRI Antidepressant Starting Dose Minimizes Suicide Risk In Young Adults
- More Americans Understand Mental Illness; Climate Change, Vaccines or the Big Bang…Not So Much
- A Psychiatrist Diagnoses “House of Cards” — Is Claire Underwood a Narcissist?
- Becoming a Digital Media Sensation, While Struggling with Depression — a wise and touching post by Jennifer Pastiloff
- New analysis of international suicide data repeats 10 year old finding; 85% suffer from a mental illness
- ADHD: a real disorder, denying it hurts children
- Let Us Not Forget…Suicide, Even By Celebrities, is Most Often Preceded by Deep, Unrelenting Depression
- Book Review: By All Means…Where Mindfulness Meets Mental Health
- “3 Lessons from the Gus Deeds’ Story” – A Psychiatrist Takes on America’s Failed Mental Healthcare Delivery System
- Why Mental Illness-Focused Gun Control May Be More Harmful Than Helpful
- A new 3 min. online self-test for depression, anxiety, PTSD, bipolar disorder
- A Footnote to the Jenny McCarthy Public Health Threat: MMR Vaccines NEVER Contained Thimersol
Find a topic
- New Blog Post Pot may be legal for adults but it's still dangerous for adolescents ow.ly/2M3I03 4 months ago
- New Blog Post Report: Proper SSRI Antidepressant Starting Dose Minimizes Suicide Risk In Young Adults ow.ly/2Gchp7 7 months ago