How a Bully Is Made | Psych Central.
I’m a Mom Who Blogs About Neuroscience
In addition to being the mother of two sons, I'm a science writer, focusing on the mental health concerns that can rob a parent's much needed sleep. A little over 10 years ago, when my then 17 year-old son Alex was diagnosed with schizophrenia, I desperately needed a blog like this. In my posts, I put the latest research about child and adolescent mental health into plain talk that parents can use. You'll hear about treatment that includes therapy and medication. I have no agenda, other than mental wellness. There's plenty here also on emotional resilience, and prevention. Please ask your own questions, and I promise to do my best to find answers.
Lastly, in this blog I am speaking only for myself as an individual. The views expressed in any post or article do not represent those of my current employer, PLOS, The Public Library of Science.
- 23,353 hits
- Why Mental Illness-Focused Gun Control May Be More Harmful Than Helpful
- A new 3 min. online self-test for depression, anxiety, PTSD, bipolar disorder
- A Footnote to the Jenny McCarthy Public Health Threat: MMR Vaccines NEVER Contained Thimersol
- New Peer Reviewed Meta-Study Says Psychotherapy Works for Depression!
- A Review of “A Lethal Inheritance” ….Read it, read it as a piece of fiction, as an autobiographical account; as an educative opportunity to know more about mental illness and risk factors or just to get a first hand experiential account of what it means to live under the weight of a lethal inheritance-
- Enough Evidence for SSRI-autism Risk in Pregnancy to Warrant Stopping their Use…so says a new study with a large sample size
- The Diagnosis (Unfortunately) Left Out of DSM5: Attenuated Psychosis Disorder
- PTSD in Children: How to Recognize the Symptoms, Understand the Neuroscience and Get the Right Treatment
- Praising the child’s effort… “you tried hard!”, not the person…”you’re a good boy!” far more effective, says new study
- How Much Do You Know About Depression?
- “A Mind in Danger” Wins 2013 ASJA June Roth Best Medical Journalism Award
- New Study: Significant genetic overlap found for 5 different mental disorders: SZ, depression, autism, BP, ADHD
- Is PTSD Contagious? from Mother Jones
- A List Far Too Long, from Boston Globe
Find a topic
- New Blog Post Why Mental Illness-Focused Gun Control May Be More Harmful Than Helpful ow.ly/2yPllh 4 months ago
- New Blog Post vcostello - An excellent infographic explaining bipolar disorder: symptoms, prevalence, treatment ... ow.ly/2yyArD 4 months ago